Monday, June 17, 2013

The Waiting Game: Past Your Due Date

Peter C. Vey Cartoon Courtesy of Conde Nast

One of the biggest misconceptions I had before I was pregnant is that I would deliver by my due date. Well, I waved hello to my due date anticipating to give birth that day and then waved goodbye to it as it passed me by. In order to keep sane about the whole matter, I’ve written down a list of things I’m doing to keep me occupied until I go into labor. Enjoy!


1. Make a hospital mix. Music is such a big part of my life and I can’t imagine going through the whole labor process without it. I’ve created and refined my labor mix over and over again. I chose songs that will help me get through the pain and help soothe me at the same time. I’ll try to figure out how to post my mix on the blog for you to listen to.


2. Clean your house or apartment. They say that nesting is the first sign that you will go into labor but the way I see it is that I will be so boggled down once the baby arrives that I don’t know when I will get around to cleaning and organizing it again so I treat everyday like it’s the last one I have to clean.


3. Have a dance party! OK it will not be a major dance party like the wild ones you had in your early years but while you are making your mix, play some songs that make you want to grab your belly, shake your hips and move around the room! Remember, studies show that the little one can hear what goes on in your world so play him some tunes and bust a move!


4. Go for long walks. I’ve felt a sudden burst of energy in the past two weeks of my pregnancy and have used it to take my two dogs for walks around the neighborhood. It’s been a great way to reflect on how far I’ve come since I first found out I was pregnant, keeps me fit, improves circulation and it helps little one move down to the birth canal.


5. Organize email addresses to notify friends and family once the baby is born. I have friends all over the world that are anxious to hear news of the arrival of our little son! I’ve made an email list so I can send out a mass email to everyone with photos once our son arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment