Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Maternity Wear Must Haves

For me, maternity clothes are a tricky purchase. I love fashion and not a stranger to trying to express myself through what I wear. My closet is all over the place style wise. My staples include black designer dresses, vintage western pieces, 70's blouses and silk scarves for every occasion. Maternity clothes are something that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on. While busting out of my clothes as the weeks wore on, I found myself looking more and more at sites like Free People and NET-A-PORTER at 'normal clothes' and daydreaming of what I would be able to wear as soon as I get back to my normal size. My husband made me promise not to buy any normal sized clothes no matter how much they are marked down, even though my favorite fall 10 CROSBY - Derek Lam jacket is currently on sale! It's like I am in denial about maternity clothes all together. I feel like with 2.5 months to go, I've found the perfect go-to pieces for making it through the next couple months without feeling like I'm failing fashionably. Here are my top picks.

         
 1. The Printed Jean - As you can see from my Polyvore sets, I am a HUGE fan of the printed jean. I bought a skinny fit pair from The Gap (they were 40% off that day) and I wear them all the time. They  add a little pop to all of my outfits. I love to pair them with my motorcycle boots or clogs and a blouse. 



2. American Apparel Leggings - My American Apparel Leggings have been so practical. I'm still able to wear my leggings I had pre-pregnancy. The best part is you can mix and match them.  Don't be afraid to get some crazy printed ones.




 3. Long Blouses - Fortunately right now, oversized long blouses are totally in fashion. At 29 weeks, I am no longer able to button them up, but I do like to wear them unbuttoned with a black maternity tank top underneath. I love to pair them with a vintage vest, leggings and boots.



 4. Vintage T-shirts - Vintage t-shirts have always been a staple in my wardrobe. Although I cannot fit into my cute fitted rock shirts that hugged my pre-pregnancy body, I am able to squeeze into large ones and even my hubby's t-shirts. I like to wear them with leggings, a blazer, scarves and clogs.




5. High Top Sneakers - My footwear is the number one thing that has changed in my prenatal wardrobe. Goodbye wedges, goodbye heels. My feet feel exhausted all the time from carrying so much weight so my sneakers have become my best friend. NIKE and Supra designs the cutest sneakers and won't make you feel like you have to sacrifice comfort for style.

1 comment: